One of the first questions I get asked is: how many pages should I have on my website? The answer to this question is usually driven by your intentions for the site, traffic-wise. You will probably be doing SEO on your site, and each page generally should be optimized for only one, or at most two keywords. It's a question of simple mathematics. If you have one page on your site, then the number of links you can generate is by definition limited, whereas if you have 20 pages, the number of potential links is instantly multiplied by 20. If you have 200 pages, then again the number of potential one-way incoming links is exponentially expanded and this would be even more true if you had 2000 pages on your site.
- Okay, having gotten this far, let me summarize how we are going to build your website.
- The next thing that we are going to do is find a suitable theme (template) for your site.
- After that, we are going to install capable plug-ins to maximize the search engine friendliness of your site, and also to make monetization of the internal (content) pages of your site easier.
- The main page of your site will be your promotional page. This page therefore needs creating and designing. However, as it is the homepage of your site, you must also have links from this page to the internal pages of your site as well. This enables both your visitors and the search engine robots to find their way around your site quickly and simply.
- You need to present your visitors with the opportunity of signing up for your newsletter by using a special offer that you specifically "bribe" your visitors with to encourage them to join your mailing list. Ideally, you will have a stand-alone page on your site the sole purpose of which is to add people to your mailing list, and you should also include a subscription form on every internal page of your site too (but not on the front page ).
- Each of the content pages will be monetized, and every one will be used to maximize the number of one-way links coming into your site. Each of these pages will also be linked to your main index page, so that the most important page of your site has lots of links pointing towards it.
- Some of the content pages will feature your own unique content materials, while others will be created using content materials that were originally created by other individuals in your market or niche.
- After the site is ready, you will then start using additional traffic generation strategies based on keywords that you discovered earlier so that you can start generating the visitors and incoming links that you need in order for your site to be successful.
You should give a significant amount of thought to your choice of theme. The theme should match the tone and objective of your website, it should provide the functionality you need for the kind of content you will have. The selection of themes available to you is almost mind-boggling. There are any number of WordPress themes for video available, for big and small companies. You can spend hours Googling for them! Finally, the theme should work correctly with any plugins you choose to add to your site, and it should produce clean, valid HTML code (you would be amazed how many themes, even premium WordPress themes, do not do this!).